Saturday, December 6, 2008

Gingerbread House - Day 6 (25 Days of Christmas)

Continuing with my 25 days of Christmas theme for this year I decided to make my very first gingerbread house. I have never made one before and had absolutely no idea what I was doing. So, I get the kids all excited about the project and we head out to Micheal's to see about purchasing a kit. I figure I had better make it as easy on myself as possible considering my inexperience. I was just about to give up when I finally spot a whole stack of these pre-made, everything included kits. I thought, perfect! So, we head home and I start to gather the stuff needed for this project and the kids are so excited to get started. That's when I discover that you need to let the walls dry for an hour before you put on the roof. Then you need to let the roof dry for two hours before you even attempt to decorate. So, I had to break the news to a very excited 4 year old and a supper excited 2 year old. They were actually very good sports about the whole thing. William even went down for his nap and I promised him that after he woke up it would be decorating time.

According to the box there were many ways to decorate your gingerbread house. They even had step by step instructions for house decorating that had fancy names like, Winter Wonderland or Candy Chateau. These suggestions also came with elaborate ways to shape the candy included in the kit so you can get it to look like windows and other fancy embellishments. I glanced through these suggestions and knew we would just be winging it. Finally, the time had come to decorate and the kids were still so excited. By the time they had finally finished the house I think they had eaten just as much candy as they had used for decorating. They were so proud of their finished house and had a sugar high for hours after this project. Now they enjoy eating small pieces of their house after dinner. :-)

Our kit and how our house was suppose to look according to the included instructions.

This is where they sat as I found out how long the project was actually going to take.


Waiting for hours as the house dries. The cans were used to keep the walls up.

Good as gold during the whole project!

Finally! It's decorating time!!



The finished product! The kids loved decorating the gingerbread house.

1 comment:

Jenilee said...

it turned out SO cute!