Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

What a great Thanksgiving! So significant to me for so many reasons. The first was our decision to spend Thanksgiving with my family for the first time since we have been married. Spending today with my family made it feel so much like the Thanksgivings I grew up with. The sights, the smells and the food were all so familiar. I didn't really even realize how much I had been missing this "Thanksgiving" over the past eight years. I am thankful for such a wonderful childhood and all the memories I have.

We had the unfortunate experience of losing my grandpa last month. He was truly a wonderful Christian man. He was always very healthy, extremely active and a strong patriarch for our family. After 95 years he suffered a stroke and passed shortly after. It was an easy decision for us to spend this holiday with my mom who had to say farewell to her last surviving parent. (She had been brought up by her grandma, mom and dad.) I don't know how that feels but can imagine that there is a loneliness. I am thankful that we were able to spend today with my mom. I am thankful for both of my wonderful parents. I am thankful for my grandparents and the influence they once had on my life.

Today was also Alyssa's very first Thanksgiving. She fell asleep 10 minutes before we sat down to eat and didn't wake up for two and a half hours. So, I guess she really didn't get to experience the feast part of the holiday but that's ok because she can't eat any of the food yet anyway. I am thankful for my three adorable children and my wonderful husband. I am also thankful for being able to stay home with my kids even during this terrible economy.

The flu hit our family this year. Yesterday I was in bed with chills and an upset stomach. I didn't think I would be up for Thanksgiving. When I woke up this morning I felt so much better. I didn't miss the feast! I am thankful for my health. I am also thankful for the good health of my kids and family.

I am thankful for so much this year. This has been a very memorable Thanksgiving for me. I truly feel blessed.

No comments: