Friday, July 18, 2008

William is "Driving" me crazy!!

I love having a little boy, but he definitely challenges me in ways Briana never did. His new obsession is to crawl into the front seat of the car when we get home from our morning activity. As we pull into the driveway, he asks "Mommy I can get on your side?" Which is his way of asking to climb into the front seat after I unbuckle him from his car seat. I usually let him hang out in the front seat for as long as it takes me to get Alyssa, my purse, and any other bags or items I have to bring in.

While in the front seat he usually turns on the hazard lights, turns on the turn signal, and puts a CD in the player. The first time he climbed into the front seat I didn't really know any better and left my keys in my purse in the front seat while I grabbed Alyssa. By the time I came back he had taken my keys and placed them in the ignition. He was so proud, "Mommy I do the keys for you!" (He'll be one of those six year olds who can drive a car . . . . . it probably doesn't help that he is in the middle of the bench seat and can see everything I do up front.)

Getting him out of the front seat is always a challenge. He never wants to leave!! It can be 110 degrees outside and he wants to stay in the front seat and play. I have to climb into the car and grab the little monkey kicking and screaming the whole time. Thank goodness he only weighs 25 lbs!!

Now if only he would keep this obsession to the times when we are at home and finished with our errands and play dates for the day. Oh no, he will take any opportunity he gets to get into the front seat. The other day I had quite a bit of stuff to bring out to the car. So, I tell Briana and William to get in their seats and do the top buckle. (This can be so helpful to me when we are in a hurry.) I bring out all my stuff, including baby Alyssa and there is monkey boy in the driver's seat. I have to climb in, chase him around the front area and place him into his car seat. Then he starts crying because I did his buckle and he didn't get to. By this time I am so frustrated with him . . I gave him the chance to climb in like a big boy and do his own buckle but he chose to go into the front seat. Where is Briana during all of this? Sitting in her seat with her seat belt buckled. As I sit down and begin to back down the driveway I can hear William screaming in my ears and Briana telling me what a good girl she is.

Thanks to Grandpa for letting William play in the front seat of his car while we were at the hospital having Alyssa! Before William would ask to go in the front seat and I would say no. Then he would respond, "ok." But once he had a taste of the front seat, he no longer took no for an answer. So, now I have the daily battle. Will he sit and buckle his seat like he was told and will do on occasion? Will I have to chase him out of the front seat yet again? Can we come home from a long morning and have him not ask to be in the front seat for once? Only time will tell!!!

No comments: