Thursday, May 22, 2008

Alyssa's Birthday

May 22nd has finally arrived! I was feeling very nervous about my c-section even though I have had two previous experiences. It was 8am and I was sitting on the couch playing with Briana and William when my husband asked if I was ready to go. I actually hesitated for a moment because I knew all of the things I had ahead of me. I wanted to meet Alyssa and bring her home, everything else however, made me so nervous and a little scared.

When we arrived at the hospital we were given a number and asked to wait for the registration office. This was new for us. For Briana we entered through the emergency room because it was after hours for the hospital and for William we walked right in because it was so early. So we waited in the front area of the hospital and it felt more like a doctor's appointment than a preparation for surgery. By the time we were finished with the paperwork, the nursing staff had grown anxious for my arrival. They were concerned about having me ready in time for the surgery. So I had three nurses working on me at the same time which was actually a little overwhelming but at the same time I didn't have to wait around with nothing better to do but worry about my surgery. By the time they rolled me down to the OR, all I could do was panic about that darn epidural. In my head, it had grown to be this massive procedure that I was certain to flinch during and paralyze myself for life. I was so relieved to find that I had the same exact anesthesiologist I had for William's surgery. He was so calm and easy going that you feel as if you are strolling through the park with him instead of having a complex procedure done. At one point I had grown concerned because I was shivering so much. The nurse brought me down to the OR early and the room was freezing. All he said, was no problem I can work with that. In my opinion he is the best anthesialogist in the world!!

Once I had the epidural and was all set for the surgery, I could finally focus on the fact that Alyssa would be here shortly. Just like William she came out crying. The doctor came around to the side of the table so that I could see my beautiful girl for the first time. She was then taken to the counter to get cleaned and never stopped crying the whole time. Even the doctors commented about her strong lungs. She was again brought over to me only this time my husband was able to hold her. I was able to get a closer look at her cute little face. This only lasted for a few minutes and just like my previous experiences, Alyssa was wheeled out of the room along with daddy and half the operating staff leaving me with a few people to close me up and eventually take me to the recovery room.

A few minutes later a nurse actually called the OR and let me know that Alyssa weighed 7lbs and was 18 inches. I had to ask the nurse to make sure she actually said 7 lbs. Alyssa was my smallest baby and to me she felt as heavy as the other two. Briana was 8 lbs and William was 8 lbs 3.5 ounces.

I was finally rolled into the recovery room and was getting anxious to get to my room and see my family and my baby. However, I ended up spending 2 1/2 hours in the recovery room because my temperature was 93 degrees and they wouldn't let me go to my room until I reached a reasonable temperature. It was hard to just lie there under the warming blankets knowing my baby was out and ready to hold. I still had not held her at this point.

I was so excited when my temperature finally reached 96.9 degrees because I was finally taken to my room. Alyssa was brought in instantly and I finally got to hold my little girl for the first time. Of course it was love at first sight, she is so adorable. Our nights at the hospital were not too bad and we both managed to get enough sleep. Alan loved the nursing staff this time around because he was offered coffee and water. We actually had a nurse get real snippy with him about the fold away bed during William's birth. So, this experience was far better for him. For me, it seemed that they were pushing me out the door from the time I entered my room until I finally did leave Saturday afternoon. They actually wanted to give me solid food that night for dinner, only six hours after my surgery. Since the ice chips were making me nauseous they decided to do the liquid tray instead. The next morning they had me get out of bed, then they offered more solid foods, every step just seemed so rushed to me especially compared to my previous visits. On Saturday, they asked if I was ready to go home and I ended up saying yes because I did want to sleep in my own bed and the kids were ready to have Alyssa home. I would say, looking back, it was a day too early because I was still so sore. I could barely walk and even though I was sleeping in my own bed I was too sore to enjoy it.

Each day since, I have felt better and Alyssa is starting to adjust to her surroundings. Although, she seems to sleep more calmly during the day even with kids yelling and dogs barking than she does at night. Overall, she is a good baby and we are starting to get into a livable routine.

No comments: