Thursday, September 4, 2008

Briana's 1st Day of School

Briana started her first day of preschool today. She will be attending on Tues/Thurs from 9-12 to give her a taste of what will come next year in Kinder. I was surprised to find that I had mixed feelings about her finally starting pre-K. Briana was the baby I use to leave at the Kindercare to go and work a full day. We did this for two years and so I thought letting her go to a part time pre-school would be like nothing. I didn't realize how much I have changed from my working mom days. As a working mom you justify why you leave your baby behind and you do everything in your power to silence the voice that tells you how fast they grow and you should really be at home. In addition you are so busy raising your child, managing your household and going to work that you have little time for anything else.

After William I did listen to my inner voice and stayed home with my children full time. Now fast forward two and a half years and Briana is setting off for her first real school experience and I find myself mourning her babyhood. It went by so fast. I have enjoyed the last two years and I have grown so close to my oldest daughter in the process. There are so many more experiences that I have enjoyed that I would have definitely missed as a working mom. Now that this change is in front of me I find myself struggling to embrace it. I know it's another big step for Briana. Even though I have been with her everyday these past few years it seemed to sneak up out of no where. I often times ponder the whole process of having a newborn baby who is so dependent on you for every little thing and how in 18 short years (or so) you have a completely independent adult who is leaving your home. I know from talking to moms of adults that it happens in a blink of an eye. To me this is a major step toward 18 year old Briana, a person I would love to meet and get to know some day . . . I just wish there was a way to slow down time and enjoy them just a little more just how they are today.

So here she is, so excited and so I too will be excited for her. I find having children allows you to re-live your own experiences but from a different prospective. I love you so much big girl!

1 comment:

Tim and Jen said...

She has gotten so big since I last saw her!!! So is William! And your little one is very sweet! Dylan didn't go to pre-school and Kinder is full days out here. I thought I was doing good before he started. No tears thinking about it, I was just as excited as he was and when Tim, deven and I dropped him off that first morning it was all I could do not to cry! Even the 8 months I was working part time last year didn't prepare me for leaving him at school that day. And the changes in him since he started, how quickly he is learning is mind blowing!